On this day, December 10, the first edition of Encyclopedia Britannica was published and advertised for sale in Edinburgh in 1768.
Here are a few fun facts about the oldest continuously published and revised work in the English language.
1. Encyclopedia Britannica was first published in 1768 and is the oldest English-language encyclopedia still in print.
2. The first edition of Encyclopedia Britannica contained three volumes with a total of 10,000 entries.
3. Encyclopedia Britannica is currently published in 32 volumes, with more than 100,000 entries.
4. Encyclopedia Britannica is now available in print, online, and as an app.
5. Encyclopedia Britannica is owned by the Swiss-based Britannica Group, which also owns Merriam-Webster dictionary and other educational businesses.
I used AI to create this post.